Monday, February 1, 2016

Time To Get Ready

It's February.

     Time to start seeds.  Time to get fiber processed before the spring shearing rush. Time to think about getting new chicks.  Time to get equipment ready for shearing.
   
I've sent about 50 lbs. out to Heart and Soul in Penn Valley to be cleaned and turned into roving.  That will make getting it spun up into yarn happen a lot faster than if I clean it myself as well as make it more enjoyable for me.  This also means nice clean fiber available for other spinners will be available for sale.   This year I have a bit of motivation for getting more product available.  You see, come September the World Gold Panning Championship will be held in El Dorado County.  I am planning on having the ranch open for any visitors exploring this area of the divide as well as products to show off what our beautiful alpacas provide for us.

     Next on my list of to-do's will be to get some dying done.  As usual it will all be natural dyes. I am spinning whites as fast as I can so that I can offer a variety of color this summer at the farmers market. 

     February has started out with snow on the ground and high 20's temperatures.  We had great rainfall totals for January and I am hoping it continues for the next three months.  It makes work sloppy and muddy but it sure beats drought and higher than usual fire danger.

     While the ground is soft I will be pulling some ground cover plants to be replanted later after I re-landscape an area that has been left fallow for some years and hope to revive the garden area in front of the studio/guest house.  It will involve fixing the drip irrigation which has also been left to sit for last few years as we have coped with low well levels and too many holes in the main line.  My goal will be to not only get the water set up and on a timer but get flowers back in and screened from the veracious chickens.  I could pen up the chickens but that means they can't do their job of keeping the bug population in balance.  So I would rather protect the plants.  It's odd but it works.

     This month also brings us the bitter sweet moments where we will have to say good bye to the puppies that have given us so much joy these last few months.  Some will go to their new homes this week and others will stay on a little longer to get more learning time in with the older LGD's as well as time to get big enough to handle themselves at their new job sites.  My feed bill will be relieved but my heart will miss their fluffy little faces.  I will breed again.  My oldest and my first LGD's are eight years old now.  It's sad but these are not long lived breeds.  Sasha is showing her age lately and it will be time to bring in younger workers.  I never imagined when I started an alpaca ranch how much these dogs would come to mean to me.  I love having their eyes, ears, and noses on guard duty.  They do what I cannot.  Now I can't imagine ever running a ranch without them.

    For those of you who also keep fruit trees, now is also the time to prune and spray Neem oil.  This is best done on a windless day.  Fruit trees are some of the most rewarding to me.  Once established they need so little from you and give so much back year after year.  As the saying goes, "The best time to plant a tree is ten years ago and the next best time is today."

     Last I would like to ask you to keep in mind that now is the Time that your local 4-H kids are getting ready to purchase, hatch, or otherwise birth the market animals that will be available for auction at the next county fair.  Know your farmer and support these hard working kids.  Your purchase is tax deductible, and you will get some fine meat for your freezer.  Your support continues "making the best, better."


  

No comments:

Post a Comment