Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer 2013

    As usual life keeps on moving and when I sit down all I want to do is sleep.  So many things are always in progress here on the ranch and we have half a dozen projects all half done.  Usually we have a shortage of either labor or cash.  This is normal.  I consider it progress if I can just touch one or two of these projects a day.  

On the list of To-Do's:

1) Finish the new fowl hut, lovingly christened, "Wingchester Mystery Mansion"
2) We were donated a great little storage shed.  This will be the new "Bunny Barn". It needs to have the interior built for the purpose of keeping bunnies (think meat, not pets) and moved to a level, more permanent place.
3) The garden never really happened for us this year.  The volunteers are out there and they are doing their best but they came up too late for our short season.  We water them and tend them the best we can with good intentions to do better next year.  This  years hold up was a combination of busy and the Bobcat was broken so moving manure was a tedious task.  Some very dear friends with different resources than we have graciously took the bobcat and are fixing it. We hope it will be home soon and are so glad to have that taken off our plate.
4) the future fodder container, "My Fodders Fortune" is a more pressing task now.  I had to let the fodder in the other space be dry during June's heat because it was all spoiling.  Rather than wasting it I am trying to get the new space going where I will have more control and easier access this winter.  

  But why have we been so busy?  What's so different this year than other years?  This year we took on shearing our alpacas and some neighboring alpaca owners ourselves.  It was not a one day and we're done event.  It took all the way till last week!  It was getting just a few done on weekends when we were both home and learning, and getting the right tools and learning about the wrong tools.  It was done between AT&T overtime, military weekends, county fair, state fair, bad weather, and even good but too hot weather, and we would do it now but we are waiting for our blades to come back from the sharpeners.  What else can I say?  It will be better next year!  Next year we will have all our tools, all our experience, and be able to start sooner.  Next year will be great.


  So.  On to current events!  We had one, beautiful, healthy cria this year.  His name is Noah.  He is light fawn and son of Reighnee and Barrett.  He is for sale but in the mean time we are working with him to be hands on friendly and a good 4-H boy.  My other thoughts for him is that he does have good stud potential. Nice coat, good conformation, great temperament.  


  Our LGD is expecting! We bred Sasha with our neighboring ranch's Great Pyr, Jake.  http://quartzridgeranch.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/jakes-photo-shoot/We expect puppies the first week of September.  This was not something we did without quite a bit of thought.  It came down to a few key points: my dogs are 6 years old and it can take two to three years for a new LGD to settle in.  The best way to train a new pup is to put them with an older, more experienced dog.  My dogs are not that great at letting new animals into their territory so I am hoping that since it will be one of her pups that will solve that.  I talked with other breeders and discussed my concerns, wanting to be responsible about breeding, and they all agreed my reasons for breeding and not rescuing were valid.  Also rescues can be risks as working dogs.  Just because they are a certain breed does not mean they are going to work.  By breeding with parents that are proven workers we have a better chance of getting those good instincts in the gene pool.  

  This will be my first time with puppies so I am very occupied reading and researching so that I do right for my dogs needs and her babies.  I do have a list of folks with puppy reservations but until they are hear and healthy we won't make any promises.  If you are interested I can put your name on the list, first come first serve.  Couple things to keep in mind when you are thinking about an LGD.  These are not typical Lab type dogs.  They are strong willed.  They have a long "teenage" stage.  You need to establish yourself as alpha.  You need to make sure they submit to you in every way including their food which can be an issue.  If I give my dog a bone I make him give it back several times before I let him have it just to remind him whose boss.  I love these dogs and all that they do to give me peace of mind because I can't be on guard duty all the time.  It is totally worth the time to keep their behavior in check so that there are no issues.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to do your own research before taking on an LGD.  You don't want to bring one of these dogs in to your ranch and set them up for failure.  DO NOT listen to anyone that tells you not to train these dogs and just let their instincts work.  An untrained dog is a nightmare for everyone.  They don't have to do circus tricks just the basics, leash, sit, lay down, no, come. (good luck with "come"). These are big dogs.  Sasha weighs 90 lbs but her brother weighs 140 lbs.  Not dogs that you want to disrespect you or your family.  I spent 15-20 minutes a day when I brought them home walking the property boundaries and teaching basic sit, stay, come so that my dogs were good guardians and not liability risks.

It's August and I see winter looming around the corner.  The squirrels seem to be working overtime and the acorns are in abundance on the ground.  The last year that happened we had a very cold, snowy winter.  Following the example the squirrels are giving we are working hard to fill up the wood bin,  fill the seams of the house and make other winter preparations.  I find living out here much like the fable of The Ant and the Grasshopper.  Those that don't prepare usually find themselves in a bad place come January.  

  There are all the regular comings and goings of summer months.  We have jammed and canned, participated in the county and State fair, raised and butchered our meat chickens for the year, participate weekly at our local farmers market selling yarn, and the general management that comes from having livestock.  My oldest is contemplating raising a market steer for 4-H this year.  We will also be involved with fiber arts, making a blanket for the Linus project, auto mechanics, alpaca, poultry, and geology.


  That brings this ranch blog current.  School studies are about to pick up again.  Our work is laid out for us.  My goal this year is to make quick posts here and keep things up to date.  We will follow Sasha's pregnancy, some of the 4-h projects, and the progress on the new poultry coop and bunny barn.  It will be a very exciting season!

No comments:

Post a Comment